FAQ about renting a car in Kunming, China
How much does it cost to rent a car in Kunming, China?
Rental cars in Kunming, China will cost you from $36.184 to $63.963 per day. Such a wide
range of rates
means that many
different factors affect the price. For example, whether you rent an economy or a luxury car, with full
insurance or basic, in high or low season, etc.
In order to understand the issue, check out what determines the car rental price in Kunming, China:
- vehicle size and category;
- current demand in a specific location;
- length of the rental period;
- the place where you return Kunming, China rental car;
- driver’s age;
- the pricing policy of a certain company;
- the territorial coverage of the upcoming trip;
- type of insurance plan;
- company’s mileage policy;
- vehicle additional equipment;
- optional extras included.
What types of vehicles can you rent in Kunming, China?
You can find Kunming, China rental cars to suit any taste, budget, and need. Family travelers will enjoy
full-size cars and minivans, while adventurers will benefit from 4×4 SUVs. If you want to save money, choose
among compact, economy, and midsize cars. The full list of vehicle categories available in Kunming, China through our
website includes Compact,
and convertible vehicles.
If you are unsure of which to choose, explore our list of most popular car rentals in Kunming, China, and
How to rent a car in Kunming, China?
High-quality and cheap car rentals in Kunming, China is the first thing we can offer you. The second is
an easy booking
process that doesn’t take much time at all. Our search engine will do everything for you — all you need to do is
enter the initial data.
Here’s how you can book a car in Kunming, China through our website in 10 simple steps:
- Go to the top of this page and find our search form.
- Make sure the correct Kunming, China pick-up location is selected. If necessary, you can select a
- Specify the start/end dates and time of your trip.
- Click the Search button and wait a few seconds for the results.
- Filter the found car rentals in Kunming, China by vehicle category and other parameters, including
policy, promotions, etc.
- Choose the car that suits you best.
- Add extra options, such as an additional driver, child seat, GPS device, etc.
- Enter the main driver’s personal and payment information.
- Confirm your booking.
- Print the confirmation voucher found in your e-mail inbox.
What do you need to rent a car in Kunming, China?
It’s simple. You need to meet the age requirements and have the following documents to rent car in
- Driver’s license. You must provide a non-revoked and non-expired driver’s license that you
have held for at least 1 year. Learners’ permits are not accepted. UK renters should have a photocard along
with their license. If your driver’s license is not in English, in most cases, companies require an
International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Credit card. Get your credit card ready to pick up a car rental in Kunming, China.
be issued in the name and surname of the main driver. Ensure that there’s enough balance on the card both
for a deposit and the rental.
- Passport. Companies often ask foreign renters to provide a domestic passport as an extra
form of identification in addition to a driver’s license.
- Confirmation voucher. You will find an e-voucher in your email inbox. Print it out to
present at the counter on collecting.
How old do you have to be to rent a car in Kunming, China?
Although most companies allow 21-year-old drivers, the minimum age to drive a rental car in
Kunming, China is 20. Such
categories of cars as luxury, premium cars, and passenger vans are often not available to young renters.
Remember that drivers who pick up Kunming, China car rental under 25 years of age must pay a young
driver’s fee, which
ranges from $20 to $35 per day. It’s not included in the price, but you have to pay it at the counter upon pick
up. By the way, there are a few easy ways to avoid a young driver’s surcharge through AAA and USAA memberships
and other fee waivers.
Which car rentals accept debit cards in Kunming, China?
You can enjoy a car for rent in Kunming, China with a debit card from Hertz, Thrifty, and Dollar.
However, there are some
debit card requirements and restrictions:
Your debit card should have a VISA or MasterCard logo and embossed numbers on it, and it must also contain
the name of the main driver.
- Prepaid and electronic cards (Visa Electron) are not accepted.
- The required amount in the account should cover both the deposit and the basic rental cost.
- Debit cards are not suitable for rentals longer than 28 consecutive days.
Finding a cheap car rental in Kunming, China that accepts payment with a debit card is very simple. After
searched for the desired location on our website, sort the results by the type of bank card accepted.
What is the best car rental company in Kunming, China?
According to the customer rating, the best Kunming, China car rental companies are
EHI China Self Drive (6.7/10).
Such a high rating means they have won the trust of users with excellent service, clean and reliable
vehicles, as well as a reasonable price.
What is the cheapest car rental in Kunming, China?
OptimoRent ($30/day), Hertz ($34/day), and Budget ($42/day) provide the best rates. The cheapest car rental in
Kunming, China is the Fiat 500 available for $30 per day.
Which is the best rental car in Kunming, China?
Hyundai Accent or similar is among the best rental car deals in Kunming, China. This economy car is
perfect for couples
and families with one child. Plus, its fuel efficiency and cheap price will delight those who are on a budget.
What rental car companies are in Kunming, China?
You can rent a car in Kunming, China from large, international vendors as well as small, local
agencies. The largest
selection of providers is available to you at Kunming Changshui Intl Airport [KMG], just 5 miles away from
the city center.
Companies such as Ace, Advantage, Alamo, Sixt, U-Save, Dollar, Hertz, GreenMotion, Thrifty, Payless,
Enterprise, and Budget are located in or near the Kunming Changshui Intl Airport [KMG]
at Kunming New Airport Police Station, Airport E Rd, Guandu, Kunming, Yunnan, China, Kunming. They
provide a free shuttle connection between the terminal and the facility.
Other providers, including Fox, NU Car Rental, and Easirent, offer Kunming, China rental cars outside of
They also provide free shuttle transfer to/from their offices or a “Meet and Greet” service.
How to get a cheap rental car in Kunming, China?
It’s always a bonus when you manage to save on car rentals and can spend that money on something special. What’s
more, it’s very easy if you follow some tips. Here are some great ways to enjoy cheap rental cars in
- Choose the cheapest economy car. If such a car is enough for your trip, why pay more? The
company’s employee will most likely try to persuade you to make a paid upgrade, but don’t be misled by them.
Very often, economy and small cars are not available due to the high demand, and you will receive an upgrade
- Try different rental periods. You can’t know in advance how much you will pay, for example,
for a 4-day car rental in Kunming, China. Therefore, try different periods, and perhaps a weekly
rental will cost you
less than you pay for 4 days. If the company doesn’t apply an early return fee, then you can take advantage
- Compare weekday and weekend rates. The price can vary greatly depending on the day of the
week. Be sure to check all the options. A flexible approach trip starting date can save you a lot of money.
- Look in downtown locations. A cheap rental car in Kunming, China is often waiting
for you not at the
airport, but in a nearby city location. This is all due to airport taxes, which make the final price higher.
Don’t be afraid to look around for more great deals!
- Say “No” to extra options. Companies often offer you extra options such as GPS, toll pass,
child seat, etc. Discard those that you don’t need, reducing the total cost.
- Choose the full-to-full fuel option. This option means that you need to go to the gas
station and refuel your Kunming, China car rental vehicle yourself. The price per gallon at the gas
station is much
lower than if you pay for it upon return. Consequently, you will save money again.
- Give up insurance if you can. Choosing alternative insurance will allow you to opt-out of
the basic plan that the rental company offers you. For example, your personal car insurance, or the
insurance that comes with your credit card, may cover your rental car as well. This is a great way to save
- Benefit from memberships. Some Kunming, China rental car companies offer discounts
with active AAA, AARP, Military/Veteran, or any other memberships at hand. If you have one, find out what
benefits you may have access to.
- Pay for a car upfront. You can often save 10-15% if you pay right after booking. Use this
as a way to save money if you are confident about your future trip to Kunming, China.