Get an Aviva Car Insurance quote – Aviva

From 2 August 2021, the UK became part of the Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA) again, which is made up of all 30 European Economic Area (EEA) countries, as well as Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia, Switzerland, and the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar.

 This means you’ll no longer need to carry a Green Card when driving in these countries.

Your insurance policy will provide the minimum cover needed to drive your insured vehicle in most European countries, which is third party only cover. This covers your legal liability to others – for example, if you injure someone in a motor accident or damage their property. However, it won’t cover you for loss of, or damage to, your own vehicle. For this kind of cover, you need to add Foreign Use.

Foreign Use is included as standard with an Aviva Online, Aviva Premium, or AvivaPlus Premium policy. Or if you have comprehensive cover with one of our other Motor Insurance products, you can add Foreign Use for an additional price. Foreign Use gives you a similar level of cover to what you have in the UK, when driving in the countries listed in your policy booklet. Cover is valid for up to 90 days for one trip and up to 180 days during the year.

To add Foreign Use onto your policy:

1. Log in to MyAviva

2. Select your Motor policy, then choose ‘Details’

3. Choose ‘Amend my policy’

4. Under Excesses and additional covers choose ‘Yes’ to the Foreign Use option

Or if you’re a new customer, simply add Foreign Use to your policy when you get a quote. 

Foreign Use isn’t available with an AvivaPlus Basic policy.   

Please note: Driving Other Cars (DOC) cover, courtesy vehicles, UK breakdown cover (Rescue Cover) and Motor Legal Services only operate within Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Adding Foreign Use will not extend these covers outside of the UK.

For exclusions and further information, see the documents section in MyAviva for the policy you want to view.

If you plan to travel with your own car to a country not listed in your policy booklet, please contact us first.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *