Rental Cars : VisitKorea Rental Cars

1. Driver’s license, passport and credit card

In order to rent a car in Korea, you must have a valid International Driving Permit (IDP) or a valid driver’s license issued in Korea. An IDP allows citizens of a foreign country with a valid driver’s license to drive while in Korea. You must obtain your IDP in the same country that issued your driver’s license. Some car rental companies require both the IDP and the local driver’s license (i.e., driver’s license issued by the country of residence), so it is advised to check the rental requirements of the relevant companies in advance. In Korea, vehicles carrying up to ten passengers require a Type 2 driver’s license, while larger vehicles accommodating eleven to fifteen passengers require Type 1. For IDP holders, the type of vehicle you are permitted to drive will depend on the classification stamped on your IDP.

* An International Driving License will NOT be accepted. Driver must either have a valid International Driving Permit or a license issued in Korea.

* Major categories of IDP: Type A – two-wheeled vehicles / Type B – vehicles with 8 seats or fewer that weigh 3.5 tons or less / Type C – freight trucks that weigh more than 3.5 tons / Type D – vehicles with 9 seats or more

A passport is necessary for identification purposes; a copy of your passport may also be needed to complete your request. Vehicle rental fees must be paid with your own credit card.


  • 1.

    The full name listed on your International Driving Permit (IDP) and your passport must be identical. If the names differ, your driving permit will not be accepted.

  • 2.

    International Driving Permits (IDP) recognized in Korea are only those issued by a member state of the Geneva Convention or the Vienna Convention. Your IDP can be used for up to one year after entering Korea (the IDP itself is valid for one year from the date of issue).

    • China is not a member state of the Geneva Convention or the Vienna Convention, but an IDP issued in Hong Kong or Macau is accepted in Korea. IDPs issued anywhere else in China are note accepted in Korea.
  • Click here to check the member states of the Geneva Convention (English)
  • Click here to check the member states of the Vienna Convention (English)
  • Road Traffic Authority: (Korean, English)

Don’t forget to check in advance if the international driving permit or driver’s license issued in your country has validity in Korea.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *